Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Case Study #180...

Well, hello! I have one last card for Case Study Challenge this month. I'm sad that it has come to an end, I had such fun. So far we've done Case Study #177#178#179, and here is #180. We're going to use this card for inspiration this week. When you look at it, what about this card inspires you? (If anything, haha)  


What inspires me about this card is definitely the layering. HERE is the original blog post if you'd like to read more about that particular card. I love to layer! Keeping everything touching or connecting on your card helps make it feel more cohesive.
______

Here's the card I made today from above inspiration piece:

Instead of using the stamped flowers in the background, I did a watercolor technique with one of the cover plates by Papertrey Ink, the Cover Plate: Center Stage. I die cut the cover plate from cardstock, placed it over my watercolor paper...
(Just noticed that I decided to turn the paper vertically instead, as you can see in my next photo!) The negative lines of the stencil were painted in with black watercolor paint and water (to make gray). I dabbed it with a paper towel if I felt I had to much water, as I didn't want the color to leak under the stencil. When you remove the stencil, you get this look! To make the splashes, I grabbed some darker black onto my brush and flicked the tip of the brush with my finger onto the paper to create the dots.

When dry, I stamped "Grateful" with the Basket of Blessings stamps. I used Mum's the Word stamps and dies to create the flowers, leaves and stems with Melon Berry, Sweet Blush, Aqua Mist and Limeade Ice inks.

Would love to see what you do with this inspiration as well! Have a great day!

Grateful card:
(All supplies by Papertrey Ink unless otherwise noted.)
STAMPS: Mum's the Word, Basket of Blessings
INK: watercolors - craft supply, Melon Berry, Sweet Blush, Aqua  Mist, Limeade Ice, True Black
PAPER: watercolor paper, white, Aqua Mist and Limeade Ice cardstock
DIES: Cover Plate: Center Stage die, Mum's the Word dies
OTHER: none.

9 comments:

Jill Norwood said...

Danielle I love both of these cards! The yellow roses are gorgeous and your collage style is so beautiful! Roses are my favorite flower to grow in my garden and I love seeing them on cards too! I love the water coloring on the second card! I need to try this out! It looks like fun. And your card is beautiful!

Houses Built of Cards said...

This is lovely! I LOVE the watercolors through the stencil - the soft gray is so perfect for a backdrop!

housesbuiltofcards@gmail.com
www.housesbuiltofcards.blogspot.com

Leigh Penner said...

This is stunning, Danielle! I love it! I am going to try this watercolour technique with this coverplate. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

Elizabeth S. said...

Both cards are so pretty! Love the layers and colors.

Holly Saveur said...

LOVE it so gorgeous!!

Jeanne J said...

How clever to use the die as a stencil for your watercolor background. Both cards are gorgeous Danielle!

Geri said...

Oh, both are so lovely! Sure hope I can find some time to play along...I've been wanting to all month long...I so enjoy your inspiration, Danielle!

CraftyMomOf3 said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS!!!

Crafty hugs!
Meredith

Kigz said...

You are so much more adventurous in your techniques than I am! BUT, that just means I am inspired to find a quick version, lol...thanks so much for sharing all your beautiful creations last month at Case Study! :)